I’ve been re-trialling Chrome on Mac – and therefore iOS too as I like to keep my stuff in sync. Chrome and Safari are great browsers in my opinion. These are my thoughts on a comparison of the two thus far into my foray with Chrome (in pros and cons).
- Better selection of apps and extensions (with ratings too).
- On iPhone when linking from an app (such as Mailbox) the webpage automatically closes if I return to the app. That is simply amazing integration.
- Colour favicons on bookmarks.
- Evernote Clearly.
- Discrete Activity Monitor management (Safari bundles all webpages into one activity).
- Energy hungry.
- Text shortcuts don’t work (on OSX).
- Webpage sync (between devices) slower than Safari.
The final con is that Chrome can’t be default on iOS but that isn’t the fault of Chrome. Also Google have done an excellent job of allowing Chrome to essentially act as a default browser if you follow links from other Google apps. Mailbox – the email app for me – also optionally links into Chrome really well indeed, so I get a really good experience on the whole.